BEST SELLER: Week 3
October 21/22, 2017
PDF Version: SGLGuide_10oct2122
Memorizing the Bible can seem useless, but it can provide help when you need it.
GOAL OF SMALL GROUP
To help students recognize that remembering Scripture is a tool to guide them whenever they need it.
THINK ABOUT THIS
When it comes to the barriers that keep us from memorizing the Bible, the barriers your middle schoolers have to deal with are probably pretty similar to yours.
For all of us, these barriers usually show up in our time management, our discipline, or simply not knowing where to start.
So connect with your middle schoolers over what you’ve got in common in that area.
Share some of your own barriers and how you’ve dealt with them.
Be real. Be transparent. Be authentic.
Because it’s really important for your middle schoolers to see a real, live person that is still growing, learning, and trying to live out authentic faith.
This guide is a suggestion, not a formula. Adjust the questions and activities as needed, and don’t feel like you need to do, or ask, everything you see here.
You can use the XP at the end, or use it to break up the discussion time.
Make sure you pray together before your time is up.
JUST FOR FUN
What’s the weirdest, most impressive thing you have memorized? Show it off.
So, obviously, memorization isn’t a difficult task for any of you!
- What’s one trick you’ve discovered for remembering things you need to know?
- Was there a time when recalling something you had memorized made your life better? What happened?
- Do you think remembering what the Bible says could guide someone to avoid doing the wrong thing? Why or why not?
- What’s one thing you could use help with right now?
- How could memorizing a verse or passage of God’s Word help you with this situation or feeling?
- How would you go about finding a Bible verse that can help you?
- What’s one verse you want to remember this week?
As a group, pick one verse you’d like to memorize together this week.
Try to pick one that’s relevant to a topic your group has been talking about lately.
For help finding a verse, check out the attached handout.
IMAGE TO SHARE
Post this image on your social media account after service and/or text it to your few later this week as a reminder of the important truth we discussed today.