Our topic in this month’s Online Parenting Class has been Combating Shame. Almost every teen will experience shame, even if they aren’t able to communicate that is what is happening.
Shame is not from God but from the enemy. John 8:44 says there is no truth in the devil, who “is a liar and the father of lies.” When your teen communicates untruths about who they are as a child of God, combat those lies with Scripture. The best way you can help your teen fight the battle of shame is to use the only plumb line for truth—the Word of God.
Here are just a few verses (paraphrased) to better equip you to do this:
1. You are God’s child. —John 1:12
2. You are accepted in Christ to bring praise to God. — Romans 15:7
3. You are made in God’s image. — Genesis 1:27
4. God knew you before you were formed in the womb! — Jeremiah 1:5
5. You are loved. — 1 John 4:10
6. You are one of God’s living stones, being built up in Christ as a Spiritual house. — 1 Peter 2:5
7. You are a son of light and not of darkness. — 1 Thessalonians 5:5
I know this is a hard subject, and many of you are concerned about your tween or teen’s psychological well-being—and rightly so. Press on! I am praying for you and here for support. I’ve got many resources available if you need more information or counsel. We are on this crazy parenting journey together.
Partnering with you,
p.s. If you haven’t checked it out already, this post goes with the original found in our Online Parenting Class! (click this link)